How do you Get your
People Focused on what's Important in 2008?
Keeping people focused on what matters
most can be a challenge. Here are a few things you can do to ensure
this happens in your organization.
1. Make sure everyone knows the top six activities
where they should spend 80% of their time. We call these High
Payoff Activities. Ensure these support the
overall company goals.
2. Remove obstacles that get in the way of the team reaching
their goals. These can
be obstacles within the person such as lack of planning or
within the environment such as lack of written procedures.
3. Identify what keeps the team from spending time in
their High Payoff Activities. What can
be eliminated, delegated or
streamlined? Schedule follow-ups to monitor and celebrate
4. Have a system to schedule in High Payoff
Activities. An effective system (either paper or electronic)
provides one place to track goals and schedule time to work
on priorities. Remember, what gets
scheduled, gets done.
5. Evaluate your employees' ability to perform each High
Payoff Activity. Provide training and coaching to increase
Start the year right: identify High
Payoff Activities, remove obstacles, get a scheduling system and
develop your people.
our three session introductory program to help you and
your team stay focused.